Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Boys have arrived … Friday 3/25/2011

Right after the boys entered the world, they brought them to my head in the OR and Matt and I decided Baby A would be Jude Lincoln Murphy and Baby B would be Zeke Austin Murphy. We had the names picked out but I needed to see their faces to make sure it was a good fit. Their middle names are for our home state capitols.

Picture: Baby A - Jude Lincoln Murphy - 5 lbs. 2 oz. 17 1/4 inches long

Picture: Baby B - Zeke Austin Murphy - 5 lbs.






After I had a moment with them they got taken to the NICU and Matt went with the boys while I went to recovery. The boys arrived at the NICU at 3:50pm. Jude weighed in at 5 lbs 2.9oz. and was 17 ¼”, Zeke weighed 5lbs 8.4 oz. and was 17” long.

Both were not able to breathe solely on their own and were placed on nasal cannulas. Jude at 1 liter and Zeke at 3 liters. They also had IVs started to help deliver meds and vital nutrients and fluids. Zeke began to struggle. They did a chest xray and determined that Zeke’s lungs were “sticky.” They put surfactant in his lungs which required he be intubated. He still was struggling and so he had to go to a cpap 5L which helped keep his lungs open. They were both under warmers to help them maintain the body temperatures.

In the evening that day I got to go to the NICU by wheel chair and meet the boys. First I met Jude. He looked so cute, still a mess but so darling and so tiny! I got to hold him for a few minutes and then he went back under the warmer.

Picture: Mommy meets Jude




Then I got to meet Zeke. He was not in great shape and was really uncomfortable. He couldn’t tolerate being held or touched so I just got to look at him. He was really swollen and it was so hard to see his face under the cpap. It was scary to see all the chords and wires and very emotional to see him struggling like that.

Picture: Daddy & Zeke


Picture: Zeke with all his support care


I went back to my room to continue my magnesium sulfate treatment and get some more rest.

Picture: Jerra with big sisters Ayla, 4 & Eden, 2


No comments:

Post a Comment