Friday, January 25, 2013

Lessons from The Cold

I wrote this a while ago when I was cold. Seems a bit ironic to post now when Texas is heating up but I know my friends up north are still dealing with cold; probably sick and weary of the cold.  As we head outside and enjoy this beautiful weather, I hope we Texans might gain a new appreciation for cold.




"Lessons from The Cold"

It's cold. I hate the cold. I hate being cold. Feet cold. Nose cold. All the putting on of layers. When you have four kids it's a lot of layers.

The alarms sounds and I don't want to face it - to leave my warm bed. I brace for the cold, put my feet down on the cold wood floor and shuffle off to rouse the four children who will also have to face the cold.

All day I am seeking the warmth. My coffee grinder revs and soon the smell of hazelnut fills my home. I take this wonderful cup and start up my shower. In no time it will be steamy and warm.

I know it will end. Soon I will brace for the cold, wet & dripping. So I steal a few more moments then race for the warmth of my "mom clothes."

The day brings its sunshine and the rushing around almost makes you forget the cold - but it's still there.

It's the end of the day, the kids all tucked away into their warms beds, if I am lucky I may get to steal away again.

I run the water in the bath; the warmth and steam pour out and overflow into the room. I light some candles, the heat and flames dance. Sinking into the bath, the warmth embraces me and the worries of the day melt away.

The water drains. If only the worries went with it. I grab my warm fuzzy robe and get ready for bed. One more warm treat awaits me.

Ready for bed I walk the last cold steps along the bare wood floor, pull back the covers and crawl into the cool crisp bedding. I shiver underneath ... its cold ... but I wait because I know the warmth is coming. Soon this bed will be cozy and warm.

It occurs to as I wait that warm wouldn't feel so deliciously good without the cold. It's the cold that makes me yearn for warmth. It's my hatred of the cold that keeps me all day ever-searching for the warmth. I could never experience the joy, peace and comfort of the warmth without also having to face the bitter cold. I could never encounter my creator and Lord like this on a bright and sunny day.

So I'm grateful for the cold. I'd do it all again. I'd walk through it all again. 

What a privilege the cold has become - so I could know the warmth - the great love of my God, my Father, my King! I'm so grateful for the cold.

It won't be long until the alarm will sound and a new day begins. Another day to face the cold. Another day to seek the warmth. Another day to live ....


No comments:

Post a Comment